Friday 16 September 2016

Riot Police Swoop In On Restaurant Dispute Over Steak, Customer Says




A woman who didn't want to pay for an overcooked steak was surprised when the conflict became even more heated than the cut of beef she ordered.

The conflict led to riot police descending on the restaurant, Nicola Kendal told South West News Service.

She visited the White Hart Inn in Gloucestershire, UK, with a group of friends on November 11. She ordered a $30 steak and requested cooked to "medium."

Kendal, 42, wasn't thrilled with the order when it arrived.

"I had ordered a medium steak and when it came out I thought it was very well-done, overcooked and tough," she told SWNS. "A few minutes later, I said to the waiter that I wasn't happy with the meal and the landlady came over and was rude and aggressive."

She was offered a fresh steak in exchange, but refused it because she did not want to be eating after her friends had finished.

Since she didn't eat the steak, Kendal was surprised when the bill arrived and included a $15 charge for the meat she didn't eat.

"We paid the rest of the bill, but I went over to her and said, 'I'm sorry, but I am not paying anything for my meal,'" Kendal said. "It went back and forth for a bit, and all of a sudden her partner said 'I've pressed the button, no one is leaving until the police arrive.'"

Pub manager Joanne Kearne explained to SWNS that there is a discreet "panic button" behind the bar connected to the police station. Her partner pressed it when the argument became heated.

What happened next still shocks Kendal: She says pub went into lockdown and two police cars and a “riot van” arrived at the pub a short time later.

Even though Kendal had a beef with the steak and didn't eat it, she said officers threatened to arrest Kendal if she didn't pay the $15 on the bill.

"I was just so shaken by it at this point. I eventually paid the money so I could just get out of there," she told South West News Service. 


But local law enforcement tells a different story. A police spokesman  said only one police car showed up at the restaurant and left shortly after establishing no offenses were committed.

Kearne, the manager, characterized Kendal as “lairy and aggressive” and said she had a feeling there would be a problem from the moment the customer walked in. 

"She was rude to my young staff and we called the police because it was a situation I couldn't control," Kearne told SWNS. "We have been in the pub for five years and this is the first time I have had to call the police in. I have never had someone go off the boil like that."

Kendal said she's still offended by what happened. 

"The landlady didn't say outright that I was barred, but suffice to say I won't be going back," she said.

Also on HuffPost:

-- This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.













Source: http://feeds.huffingtonpost.com/c/35496/f/677553/s/4bac5309/sc/28/l/0L0Shuffingtonpost0N0C20A150C110 ... and provided by entertainment-movie-news.com

No comments:

Post a Comment